Home

Perpendicular South Porch

The porch was built in 1483, as the inscription above the door records, by Richard Fox, who was born at the Peacock Inn, a stone cottage which still stands in Ropsley High Street.The Latin legend at the entrance to the porch can be translated ‘Go not away unless ye pray an Ave Maria’, whilst on the left can be seen the Mass clock

click image to enlarge

Interior of the Church

The fifteenth century font close by the porch is a fine octagonal stone font, decorated with encircling shields. Nearby is a small oblong window which may have been a ‘leper’s squint’ enabling the leper to take some part in the service without entering the church. In the South wall is a modern stained glass window commemorating the life of William Philip Dales of Little Humby, a pilot who lost his life in the second world war.

click image to enlarge

In an arched recess in the South aisle is an effigy of an unknown lady, clad in gown, hood and chin-cloth. The figure was discovered upside down in the ground beneath this aisle.

At the base of the rafters, you can see carved heads, but also look for the funny faces and heads which have been sculpted in later centuries by masons when making repairs.

 

The altar rails were introduced after the Reformation. In the reign of Charles 1, Archbishop Laud instructed that the altar table should be retained permanently at the East end, and enclosed by rails ‘reaching cross from the North to the South wall’ and ‘neere one yarde in height and so thick with pillars that doggs may not gett in’.

click image to enlarge

Bells and Clocks

The two bells in the ringing chamber were added in the seventeenth century. The inscription on the larger bell states ‘Thomas Norris made mee 1664’ and the smaller is inscribed ‘Sweetly tolling men do call to taste on meat that feeds the soul 1620’.

Mysteries

Much of the plaster is very ancient, and that in the North aisle contains traces of colour from pre-reformation times, when it was the custom to decorate the walls. The unusual medieval pew ends, ravaged by time or it has been said, chewed by the horses of

Cromwell’s army, sheltering in the church. Look for the mysterious image of a Christlike head to the left of the Chancel.

Leaflets and additional information can be found in the church